Sunday, May 01, 2016

Response To: @LindaBeatty 726648089113567232


    To me both are religious. What is your distinction between religious people and people who believe in god? :)


@LindaBeatty, thank you for responding. :)

If I may respectfully mention, my perspective seems based upon the assumption that God exists. However, I acknowledge and respect the possibility that you might not be convinced of that assumption's validity.

The majority of proposed scientific substantiation for the following seems posted on the SIDP website. I welcome reasoned comment, question and rebuttal.

I seem to sense a distinction between God and religion. To me, God seems Biblically-suggested to be omniscient, and supremely benevolent. Religion, however, seems reasonably suggested to refer to some combination of (a) human, limited perception of God, (b) human, intentional or unintentional misrepresentation of God, and/or (c) human attempt to benevolently or otherwise administrate God/human relationship. Nonetheless, "religion" seems also reasonably interpreted as including God, since God is religion's apparently typical focus.

Your comment seems to portray "religion" negatively. To me, thus far, the above-suggested attributes of God seem to preclude God from being inappropriate. However, religion as described above, due to its apparently fallible, human element, seems logically expected to produce undesirable behavioral outcomes, even among those who claim association with God or and/or claim to be behaving on God's behalf.

Perhaps, therefore, if we assume for analysis' sake that God exists as apparently portrayed by the Bible, the potential to ascribe human failing to God seems to warrant distinguishing between God and religion.

I welcome your thoughts.